The Samos Library Branch has been operating since 1987, i.e. when the Department of Mathematics was established. It is located in Karlovasi, and is housed in a restored neoclassical building constructed in 1903, the Hatzigiannio Girls School. The Hatzigiannio Girls School was constructed in the place of the former Porfyriada School and the Agia Sophia Church. Its construction was funded by industrialist and politician of the Samian State Giannis Hatzigiannis to house the Girls School that had been operating in Karlovasi since 1861. Founded in 1902, the Girls School was completed in 1905 and was named Hatzigiannio after its benefactor Hatzigiannis. It served as a school building throughout the years, except for the Greek Civil War period (1945-1949). In 1989, it was bestowed to the University by the Municipality of Karlovasi. The building was renovated according to plans drawn up by the architect of the University of the Aegean, Mr. K. Lapathakis, and started being used as the Department Library branch.
The Branch Building covers an area of approximately 920 sq.m. and includes two levels. The first level (ground floor) serves as a reception area and houses the point of service for users (counter) where the book searching, borrowing, returning and reserving services are provided. On the same floor, also housed are the offices where material is classified and processed, as well as special areas and stands for audio-visual materials and for the newly acquired materials.
There are four (4) user terminals to search available to users for searching. Further inside the same floor are a number of open-access bookstacks. In the right wing of the ground floor is the collection of journals with older issues (back issues) in movable bookcases. In the same area, a twenty-four (24) -user seating capacity is provided, along with two (2) laptops available to users for general use. In the left wing of the ground floor there are: a canteen and auxiliary rooms for the public, a photocopier available to users as well as reading and printout equipment for microfilm-microfiche. In a separate room near the other entrance of the ground floor collections of rare and historical material are kept: the Porfyriada School collection, the Panagioti Mageira collection, the Morali family collection and the Dimitri Valaskantzi collection.
On the second level (mezzanine floor) there is the rest of the collection of books and journals in open-access bookstacks. In the right wing there are stands with the current-year issues of all journals in the collection of this Branch. On this floor, a twenty-four (24)-user seating capacity is provided.
The collection of the Samos Library Branch consists of 34,130 volumes or 22,436 book titles (7,926 Greek titles, 13,581 English titles, 275 German titles, 535 French titles) , as well as 352 journal titles of which 31 titles are current subscriptions in print.
It also includes a collection of Gray literature completed at and submitted by the University Departments located on Samos, the collection of textbooks distributed to students of the Departments of Samos through the EUDOXUS programme, under the auspices of the Ministry of Education, as well as other special collections, such as: reference material (encyclopaedias, dictionaries, guides), faculty course notes, audiovisual material, the Porfyriada School collection, the Panagioti Mageira collection, the Morali family collection, the Dimitri Valaskantzi collection, etc.
The Library is organized according to the international classification and cataloguing standards. In particular, the Library materials are organized using the Dewey Decimal Classification System, the Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules 2 (AACR2) and the Library of Congress Subject Headings. The authority control is based on the Library of Congress Name Authorities and the Catalogue of Name Authorities of the National Library of Greece. Searching can be conducted in both the local collection and the union catalogue of the six (6) regional Library branches of the University of the Aegean. The branch also provides access to a large number of databases and journals.
The collection covers the areas of interest of the Samos University Departments , as well as a large number of titles of general interest. The Samos Library Branch covers mainly the following topics (subjects):
- Philosophy and Psychology
- Social Sciences
- Political science
- Banking & Finance
- Natural Sciences
- Organization and Management
- Geography & History
- Borrowing Services (Borrowing, Reservations, Renewals)
- Interlibrary Services (inter-branch and inter-library loans)
- Ordering articles
- Studying on the Library premises
- Reproducing material (books, journals, digital media)
- Management of EUDOXUS Books (borrowing, returning, distributing textbooks EUDOXUS)
- User Support and Train Services
The Samos Library Branch supports:
(A) The Departments of:
- Information and Communication Systems Engineering
of the School of Sciences
(B) three (3) Postgraduate Courses in:
- Statistics and Actuarial-Financial Mathematics
- Technologies and Management of Information and Communications Systems
The main purpose of the Branch is to provide the resources for the educational and informational needs of the members of the academic community (undergraduate and postgraduate students, faculty, researchers and administrative staff). The Branch is also open to residents of the island and visitors in general.
More information on the special collections:
• The Porfyriada School collection
The collection includes books from the Library of the Porfyriada School. Founder of the School was Porfyrios Zampetis. The Porfyriada School was established in 1784 in Neo Karlovasi. After the Union of Samos with Greece, it was renamed to "Public School of Commerce" and later to "Gymnasium of Economics". The first building that housed the Porfyriada School was in the place where today is the Hatzigianneio Building and the Library of the University the Aegean. In 1831 the Library was inadvertently burned down. In the new building, the library collection was enriched again with books and teaching material. The books that have survived until today were donated by the Municipality of Karlovasi in 2010; this collection consists of 1,487 titles of books, textbooks, encyclopaedias and dictionaries. The subjects of this collection include are:
- Ancient Greek Grammar
- Ecclesiastic books
- Science of Commerce: Commercial Arithmetic, Commercial correspondence, History of Commerce, Science of Commodities, Accounting and Political Economics, Commercial Law,
- Natural history
• The Panagioti Mageira collection
The collection consists of 2,305 titles, mainly related to Mathematics. More specifically, it includes many tutorial books - aids for high school pupils (six-year gymnasium), senior high school pupils or University candidates, as well as exam topics, academic books and Greek and foreign journals.
• The Morali family collection
The collection consists of 160 titles on the subjects of medicine and agriculture - agronomy. The books are mostly in French, issued in between the years 1851-1920.
• The Dimitri Valaskantzi collection
The collection consists of 4,734 titles, numerous Greek literary journals of the period between 1960-1980 and newspapers.